SKC 20th Anniversary
SKC 20th Anniversary Promotion
- Create a unique marketing plan to capitalize on the 20th anniversary of Sporting Kansas City (aka Kansas City Wizards circa 1996)
- Launch a customized product range during SKC’s home match vs Colorado Rapids
- Find a workaround to service the consumer (SKC and SKC fans)
- SKC wanted to pay homage to their 20-year history with one major request: a customized jersey.
- Jersey creation takes a minimum of 18 months to create a unique piece
- Custom pieces must hit a minimum order quantity to get produced
- MLS league guidelines DO NOT allow teams to wear customized pieces on field — only licensed product
- SKC wanted to pay homage to their 1996 multicolor jersey, a very complex design
- Wanted 1,000 units with lead time of 3 months
- I got creative
- I found a black inline style in the quantities and size run needed
- I worked with SKC and our graphics team in Boston to create the exact item the team wanted
- I shipped the product and the approve graphics to our Indianapolis warehouse to customize the inline product
- I worked with MLS to get approval for the piece
- Finally, I worked with our sales team to get the proper royalties and pricing
- The units were produced, shipped in full, and on time.
- The jerseys sold out within 5 minutes of doors opening
- Fastest sellout in team history
- SKC VP of Consumer Product later said: “only ordering 1,000 was the biggest career mistake I’ve made.”
- Reddit couldn’t find them either
- The team then placed an additional order for 10,000 units to be created and shipped in waves.
- Team press release for the event