In the summer of 2013, Human Movement Management (HMM) acquired the rights to The Zombie Run, a 5k fun-run through a zombie wasteland of a course. On Halloween night, the largest zombie 5k & The Zombie Run’s biggest competitor, Run For Your Lives (RFYL), declared bankruptcy and cancelled their remaining planned races, including a race in 2 days time in Phoenix, AZ.
We (HMM) decided to acquire all assets from RFYL and produce all their projected events under The Zombie Run umbrella, including the Phoenix race in two days.
They took the crappy obstacles, wasteland of a course, and total absence of mud run staples and pulled off a worthy event for nearly 1500 racers. With a borrowed PA system, an iPod and a couple microphones, Jeff Suffolk and Mike Brennan kept the crowd entertained.Brett Stewart
For more, check out Brett Stewart’s article regarding the entire scene here!
- Actively rebrand The Zombie Run into three separate races:
The Zombie Run (original)
- The Zombie Run: Extreme (obstacle, mud course with zombies)
- The Zombie Run: Black Ops (Same as extreme…but at night)
- Leverage social media to drive registration.
- Create partnerships to maximize brand exposure and awareness of event.
- Develop a unique HTML-based email campaign to capitalize on CRM.
- Developed an organic marketing plan, working on no budget.
- Focused on creating awareness organically:
- Created “The Zombie Run Origins” blog.
- Developed social media campaigns to get people talking. Most successful was March Movie Madness – a march madness bracket full of zombie movies….for those curious the voted winner was Zombieland.
- Partnered with Mud Run Guide to maximize exposure.
- Launched marketing campaigns through LivingSocial to leverage their existing marketing platforms.
- Partnered with local parks & rec, businesses and radio stations for promotion / giveaway opportunities.
- Designed HTML, image centric emails to distribute to past participants in each area.
- Oversaw a national PR campaign to various news outlets to draw awareness.